Friday, June 17, 2005

If It's Not Scottish, It's Crap!

Well, the good news is that I'm actually walking on my leg today without the crutches. The range of motion, ability to bear weight, and walking speed are about 30% of normal, but compared to my wheelchair ride around Vegas last weekend, I'll take 30%. The bad news is that I still don't actually know what's wrong with it. The x-rays came back negative, which made my regular doctor decide he didn't know what it was and dump me off to a physical therapist. The physical therapist hasn't called me to set up an appointment, so I'm laying even odds right now that I'll be back to normal before I ever get to see the PT. Anyone else want to bet?

Meanwhile, I've always wondered who came up with the idea of daylight savings time and what prompted their decision to move us all an hour forward on the clock. After being home - and being stuck at home the last four nights - I'm beginning to think it was someone who'd had enough of the summer television schedule. Surely I can't be the only one not enamored with repeats of CSI and ER. Great shows though they may be, once I've seen an episode, I really don't feel the need to sit through it again until several seasons later when I break down and buy the DVD. With the good shows in reruns, that leaves us faithful TV viewers with crap like The Real Gilligan's Island and Hit Me Baby One More Time. Trapped in my living room, this week I had no choice but to stare longingly at the light outside at 9:30, and then turn to a good book while Gilligans Shawn and Zac fought to be the real Gilligan by trying to catch fish in a wading pool. Meanwhile, on not one but three episodes of Hit Me Baby, viewers were treated to such masterpieces as Haddaway's rendition of "Toxic", Tommy Tutone's "All the Small Things", Cameo's version of "1985", and Wang Chung's cover of "It's Getting Hot in Here"...and those were unfortunately the better performances of the three episodes. I should just turn the television off and turn some music on, but for some reason I always seem to want the TV on as background noise whether I'm paying attention to it or not. I'm not sure I would call the TV addictive, but it's funny how something becomes such a part of your life that you miss it when it's gone. It's also sad that I should find myself using words like that about an inanimate electronic device, but not being a Luddite, I'll leave that thought for someone else's blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home