Friday, June 17, 2005

Stop the Insanity! On Second Thought, Don't...

This blog doesn't really have a theme other than the one that seems to drive most of the blogs that I've seen - the blogger. I'd be lying if I said I had any other underlying theme, particularly three days into my first blog. I'll say that I don't plan on being another one of those "Check This Out" blogs attempting to introduce my readers to really cool, funny, stupid or gross sites on the web. Let's face it, most surfers can find that stuff on their own if they want to, and most of them already know hundreds of other people with connections to all of the media they want.

So while I promise not to try to turn into a potpourri of useless links, the folks at Blogger just directed me to this site . At first I thought the guy was insane, or just downright attention-starved. Then I got to thinking. What's different about Daily Dancer's desire to post videos of himself dancing and my love of being on stage? In "The Foreigner", no matter how much fun I had or how good the review was, at most 1000-or-so people would have seen us because our crowd was limited by the capacity of the theater. Meanwhile, Daily Dancer could be getting that many hits in a day if enough people passed the word to their friends. After all, look what word of mouth did for Badger Badger Badger and the Hamster Dance . Would I be writing this right now if I didn't secretly hope that someone out there will find it halfway interesting and read it? Maybe so, but I'd probably be less diligent about it.

It goes back to my first post and being amazed at what some people will put in their blogs. This stuff is out there for millions of people to see. On one hand, that's pretty wild and oddly appealing to an extrovert like me. On the other hand, it's just a tiny bit scary, knowing what information experts can do, and knowing that there are people out there surfing the web in search of poachable identities. You can say what you want to about being able to carry on after having lost friends, family, and possessions, but should it ever get to the point where someone knows you well enough to take on your identity and it ever comes into question who the real Ted D. or Daily Dancer or Freshboy or Stella really is, what do you do? I'm not a doom-and-gloomer - I swear I'm not - but I can only hope that none of us ever has to find out the answer to that question.

On that note - have a great weekend! I have every intention of getting some pics from "The Foreigner" and Las Vegas up by Sunday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home