Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Windfall Taxes for Oil Companies

Welcome back to another episode of "Search for Understanding". I'm Ted, an ordinary, middle-class white guy with very little formal training in politics or economics but a thirst for knowledge and a desire to keep up with what's happening in the world, even while admitting both privately and publicly that there's probably nothing I'll ever be able to do to change one damned bit of it. Today's topics are Capitalism and Democracy.

Not long ago, my good friend Freshboy blogged about an attempt to ban smoking in public establishments in the Washington, D.C. area. We got into an argument about the rights of American citizens and the ability of government to regulate their freedoms, where I realized I was no longer the do-gooder consitutionalist I had once been in high school. At the time of this argument, I wasn't ashamed to say that I thought the government's regulation of smoking was a good thing because I personally could care less for smoke and enjoy being able to walk into a public place without coming out smelling like an ash tray. I went so far as to say that if government ever threatened to further regulate bourbon, or poker, or Chick-Fil-A sandwiches - You know, something I care about - then maybe I'd worry about it, but until then they were welcome to regulate anything that didn't personally affect me. Even as I said it, there were alarms going off in the back of my mind and the old Ted was turning in his comfortable middle-class grace, but we left the debate unfinished, agreeing to disagree as we usually do.

Well, a few weeks ago, I heard a suggestion by Robert Reich - former Secretary of Labor under Clinton and regular commentator on the Marketplace Morning Report - that now might be a good time to reign in oil companies with a 'Windfall Tax'. Since his initial commentary, I've heard at least one congressman talk about the same idea. I'm no expert, but the way Reich justified this was in saying that the oil companies were reaping huge unexpected profits - proverbial windfalls - by charging Americans more than they had expected to spend for gasoline and heating oil. In order to recompense Americans for their unexpected expenses, Reich reasoned that the government should levy windfall taxes on oil companies and use the money to help Americans pay for those expenses. Now I'm no expert, but this suggestion sounds like one way of artificially controlling the country's economy by putting a price cap on one of the world's commodities, which goes against my understanding of the law of the invisible hand that controls markets. In a pure capitalist society, the law of supply & demand reigns supreme, and suppliers are going to sell product at the price that maximizes their profits. If demand drops off because the prices are too high, then the supplier usually has to drop their price to increase demand and profits. If prices remain elevated for a long time, then it usually pushes the demanders to seek other alternatives.

The U.S. is far from a pure capitalist society, despite what Cold War Communists and modern-day Islamic fundamentalists would have us believe. In a pure capitalist society, the main function of the government is to protect the people so the market can continue to function. In our case, the governments - local, state, and federal - spend large chunks of the taxes they raise to help the people live at a higher standard than they would were they left to their own devices. Still, with all that the government does for Americans, there's something that causes those alarm bells to ring in my head again when I think of government levying 'windfall taxes' on top of the normal corporate and personal income taxes they already get. That's like changing the rules in the middle of the game, isn't it?

Walmart has had a great decade of expansion; they've bullied their suppliers into selling to them at lower prices; and yet you don't hear any talk of 'Windfall Taxes' on their earnings.

How about America's defense industry? "Wow! No one expected a War on Terror this year, and you guys have sold so many tanks and made so much money that we're going to go ahead and take some of that off your hands."

Personally, I'd rather see more encouragement to pursue alternative fuels and technologies. I know the Bush administration championed the Energy Bill, which includes money for research and incentives for using agri-fuels, but we can always do more on all levels. Hybrid vehicles have been on the horizon for the last ten years or more, but they're still priced higher than gasoline-powered cars and not available in all areas. In my case, it makes more sense economically for me to drive my paid-for Jeep Grand Cherokee with its inefficient V8 engine than it does for me to switch to a car with better gas mileage. I average 50 miles a day during the week before switching to my wife's Impala for most of our weekend running around, so let's say 300 miles a week.

  • @ $3/gallon for gas, in a Jeep that gets 15 mpg, I'm spending $60 a week or $240 a month on gasoline. At that rate, I'm spending another $200 a year on oil changes and maintenance.
  • If I were to switch to a car that was twice as efficient, I'd still be spending $120 a month in fuel and close to the same amount in maintenance, but I'd have a $300+ car payment each month for the next five years.
I know there's some forumlas for carrying this example out to five- and ten-year cost-benefit analyses, but from my point of view, there's not much incentive to change.

Nevertheless before I get too far off my original train of the thought, I wonder what you - my few but faithful readers - think of this idea of 'Windfall Taxes'. Is it fair? Is it a good idea? Is it up to Uncle Sam to keep its people's heads above water in the first place? What do you think?

2 Comments:

At Fri Sep 16, 01:19:00 AM EDT, Blogger FINN said...

ok, first, go right now an obtain a copy of 'The Fair Tax Book' by Neal Boortz & Congressman John Linder. I'd lend you mine, but i ain't done reading it yet and my parents want to see it when I'm done, so youd be a while,it came out earlier thisyear, its $25 in hardback.

Its a fascinating read, and yes, you dont have to be a tax guy, or even an accountant to "get it".

Second, specifically regarding tax policies like this Bullshit Windfall Tax. If I was an Exxon Investor I'd be howling, hell I used to be an Exxon shareholder and this sort of Congressional stupidity is why we have to put up with lobbyists to quelch some of the dumbest things a politician will come up with to make you [collective] 'the voters' seem like hes doing his job! ugh

We've needed a better and more comprehensive tax and investment plan from the gov't for years regarding oil and energy consumption. Without gov't investment of tax dollars, guess what, we'd still be burning tree branches to heat our homes and living circa 1800s style!

So what should this plan entail?, well it could entail more and better tax breaks for companies who make the investments in say 'alternative fuels', but PAY for those tax breaks with higher gas taxes.

After all, if you give Exxon & GM a $1Billion tax break to further hydrocar development, well thats a $1B that didnt make it into the existing 'taxes-we-expected-to-collect' pool.

That's right, we Americans will pay for this one way or the other, either thru restricted govt spending [cut the budget $1B] or by taxing something else. Our choice, but we will pay.

And we're paying for this now. Gas is at $3, soon milk to will go up, why? it took gas to deliver the milk from the farm to your store.

Mganify that with any household or durable good or anything involving energy generation/consumption, bam, its all taxed, its all costing us more, and the market will soon raise the prices on everything because of that.

Hell, maybe the Japanese wont be able to afford to ship us those hybrid cars they make, wait, they already do, but that takes oil and gas in the ship to get those cars to our soil, and thats now more expensive, thats part of why that car costs more than an American made SUV.

I guess I'm really jaded [you can tell by now probably] because working in just the Income Tax code, I've seen enough stupid shit, but working in this bank, and seeing how much we make and generate, and how much other large companies and our existences all overlap and nudge each other, it just often makes me think...yes, i work with morons here, there are morons in gov't [like whoever put the Windfall idea together],and the amamzing thing is, once in a while we get something right, and gov't investment pays off...nuclear power is agreat example.

Cyas
~Finn

 
At Sat Sep 17, 12:11:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few thoughts:

One of the main problems with energy policy in this country is that there's very little incentive for politicians to stake out the position which will be beneficial to us all in the long term. The reasons for this are twofold. The first is that the public is fickle and demands immediate results. The second is that when you're up for re-election in a close race, that big donation from the oil companies is likely to help more than appeasing a few environmentalists. This goes double if you're a democrat, because you're likely going to get the environmental vote anyway.

Something else to think about: In a recent poll, 8 out of 10 people say that drivers should buy less SUVs and get cars with better mileage. Yet, SUVs and trucks still make up roughly 50% of all new vehicles purchased in the US.

I'd like to believe that Americans are smart people. They say they're concerned with global warming, and the ozone hole, and gas prices, and foreign oil dependence, and don't want to tear up our wilderness. However, when it comes time to act, they do so with a selfishness and short-sightedness that is appalling.

Those who have discussed politics with me know that I have a strong libertarian streak mixed in with my liberalism. I value privacy a great deal, and the last thing I want to see is a "nanny state". However, it's hard not to see that people in the US are acting childish when they exhibit behavior like this.

Maybe a gas/energy tax to encourage behavior that is beneficial to our society and our earth as a whole is necessary. Obviously a moral incentive to do the right thing isn't enough, so let's give them a financial reason to change. Use all the money from the tax to fund things like renewable energy research and public transportation.

I don't think that this should be done as a windfall tax, per say. Punishing corporations for making large profits isn't fair. However, I think doing it for reasons like security (reducing dependence on foreign oil) and the commoon good (less pollution, smog, global warming, etc) are perfectly acceptable.

Don't we already tax things like cigarettes, liquor and gambling disproportionately? Why not oil? It's the US's other great addiction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home